The Potter story is epic, and we are here to experience the climax of something truly amazing. Why shouldn’t we enjoy it? We homeschool! If we can’t drop everything and fling ourselves madly into a moment such as this, what’s the point of all that freedom, right?
Here’s the plan: We’ll listen to/read as many of the books as possible. We’re not going to kill ourselves, but I kinda want us living and breathing Harry’s world for the next 40 days. We’ll be skipping book #2, however, as it’s not really a favorite of anyone in the family.
We’ll also be doing lots of fun, themed projects. Even math will have a Potter twist (if the Nimbus 2000 can fly at a maximum speed of 65 mph…). This is some of what I have planned (other than just enjoying the books):
- Making our own (amazing and beautiful!!!) magical wands
- Making an origami golden snitch (or two or three)
- Creating an imaginary floor plan of Hogwarts
- Trying out some Harry Potter haiku
- Learning some of the Latin roots of the spells
- Exploring genetic traits in the wizarding world
- Toodling around the Harry Potter Lexicon, which is loaded with goodness
- Playing around with fun printables and games
- And whatever else I find and think would be fun (or interesting)
Essentially, we’ll be doing an intense Harry Potter unit study for the next month+. I will be sure to take lots of pictures and keep everyone updated as we go along. We’ll return to ancient Greece and our usual studies when we are done.